Thursday, October 27, 2005

there must be an airport nearby...

It's weird getting used to the English language. When people approach me I am still ready with a je ne comprend pas. It's hard for me to accept living in a place where I can actually speak the language. I am still uttering awkward pardons and mercis all over the place. I am assuming this will quickly pass.
It feels like summer here. I wear a jacket and scarf when I am out (it's habit, I cannot help it), but I often end up stripping down to just a t-shirt. It is such a welcome break from the frigid onset of another Montreal winter. Nothing personal guys, but I am SO glad to be missing it.
The weirdest thing I find is the housing situation. It is so normal for two or three people to share a room. Every bed is a single and people are often sleeping on the floor. It's just so different than North America (at least my North American experience) and I tell fantastic stories to the peeps about how I used to share a 3 bedroom flat with only one other person. Their eyes are wide as they oooh and ahhh.
The division of class is pretty remarkable, as well. While there are millions of people flat-sharing like I just described, there are many many many who live in mansions. If you are rich in London then you are very rich. Rich anywhere else could only be middle class here...The wealth is kind of sickening.
I am going to be poor, but this is ok. So long as tea remains incredibly cheap my heart will be warm.
I need to look for a job and an apartment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home